201 - BYOD: Build Stakeholder Buy-in by Tailoring Your Message
Have you ever delivered a proposed solution, only to find that no one really understood how it would impact the business? You felt passionate about the feature or benefit that would be delivered and understood the problem, but it didn’t generate enough excitement with your stakeholders for them to justify the investment? This doesn't need to happen.
In this session you’ll learn how you can leverage research (gathering data, not accepting the first answer, understanding the core audience, uncovering the pain that exists), storytelling (from the perspective of the customer, the characters involved, the impact of transition, the stakes or risk), time management (doing the right things, and knowing what to say no to), and project management skills (calling others to action, assessing risk, and holding folks accountable) to create proposals that justify investment in training/learning technologies. You’ll use a storytelling framework that puts the decision maker front and center as the hero, as you engage in their story and guide them to success. Your pitch will become less about you and the technology, and more focused on how the investment will impact the success of the organization. You’ll discover how to use 2x2's (Eisenhower Boxes), Looping Processes, and other tools to support critical thinking, ensure alignment, and improve your success.
In this session, you will learn:
- How to use a 2 x 2 to determine your strategy when addressing known/unknown problems & known/unknown solutions
- How to use a story framework to engage in your internal customer's story
- How to use a story and project management concepts to call folks to action
- Why it’s important to realize your customer is the hero—not you.
- How feedback loops and consistent process can support execution
Designers, developers, managers, senior leaders
Participant technology requirements: