712 - What Fortnite Can Teach Us About Memory, Motivation & Learning
Is the success of popular and engaging games like Fortnite an accident? Not at all. These game developers have figured out strategies for how they can effectively capture someone’s attention and retain it over time. Imagine what you could accomplish if you knew some of the secret methods Fortnite uses and could apply them in your own work?
Well, the secret is out! In this session you’ll take a deep dive into 10 proven methods that Fortnite uses in their video game to be the best in what they do. You’ll explore the science behind how the brain reacts to in-game components (like micro interactions), the careful design that comes with everything you do in the game, and—the best part—how you can apply these techniques in your own learning initiatives to make them more engaging and motivating.
In this session, you will learn:
- About the Skinner Box, and what a huge role it plays in gaming and in learning
- How methods like loss aversion can be leveraged in learning
- About Sunk Cost, and whether it is a fallacy
- About the Zeigarnik Effect and Ovsiankina Effect
- How Fortnite uses these simple but effective methods to keep players entertained
- How we can take those methods and apply them in our everyday work
Designers, developers, managers