LS20 Conference Program

Image

Loading

409 - Using Neuroscience to Increase Audience Engagement

March 31, 2020
The Rosen Centre
Instructional Design

Your audience may only remember 10% of your content—the other 90% typically goes in one ear and out the other. That isn't great news, because people make decisions based on what they remember, not what they forget. So how can you get your audience to act on your content if they only remember a tenth of it? One of the most obvious reasons why people forget our instructional content is lack of engagement. Imagine the time and money you could save if you could control how your audience is engaged and interacted with your materials.

In this session, you’ll take a closer look at the neuroscience behind attention and memory—two processes vital to understanding how to create memorable content—and discover how to take control of the information your audience is likely to remember. You’ll break down the three elements you need to keep in mind when interacting with your audience. First, you’ll look at gaining your audience's attention, which requires overcoming habituation—when you get used to stimulus and start paying less and less attention to it. You’ll see how variation and incorporating anticipation can excite the mind and makes people perk up and pay attention. Then you’ll explore holding your audience's attention. Appealing to their senses, making information relatable and familiar, and using empathy can help you keep attention once you have it. Finally, you’ll look at helping your audience build lasting memories. Forming memories is arguably the most important part of delivering content and the deeper your content is processed, the more likely a memory will be formed. Guiding your audience toward semantic processing takes them beyond what they see and hear and cuts to the heart of the matter—what does this information mean to them? When you challenge your audience to consider what impact the information you're presenting will have on their lives, you force them to internalize your content on a deeper level, which helps to form a memory.

In this session, you will learn:

  • How the brain pays attention, how memories are formed, and why memory is the root of all decision making
  • How to incorporate unexpected and lively information to increase audience engagement
  • Why engaging your audience's senses and making information relatable to them can help hold their attention
  • What stimuli you can insert in your content to better attract and sustain attention
  • How to jumpstart the deep processing that allows the brain to form lasting memories

Audience:

Designers, managers

Speakers
Carmen Simon, Cognitive Neuroscientist & Founder - Memzy

Premium Sponsors


 

Sponsors


 

See The Full Exhibitor List Here

Sessions

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.

 

Keynotes

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.

Schedule

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.

Pre-Conference Activities

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.

Hotel Information

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.

Who Should Attend

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.